Thursday, August 6, 2009

Wedding Photos




{Text is from tapes transcribed by Bill Norrington and José Saleta, intended for an autobiography}
I was married to Margaret Mason on January 21, 1961. We were married in Canberra, spent our wedding night in Sydney, and the next day got a plane to Wellington, New Zealand. We had decided to spend a 2-week honeymoon touring the north island of New Zealand by car. This was quite a decision because neither of us had a license not had either of us driven a car prior to this. We were married in Canberra where the Masons lived. I went to Canberra three days before the wedding to help set things out and complete final arrangements for leaving the country with respect to passports, visas, etc. Margaret’s father decided to give me a couple of driving lessons in their family car. I took them and the day before the wedding arranged to take a driving test. The police officer who supervised my test was not at all impressed with the terrible gear changes and the lack of an ability to start and stop on hillsides. Nevertheless, he had known Margaret’s sister and in fact had dated her for a while before she died in a car accident. When he found I was marrying Margaret the next day and we were leaving for New Zealand he said: “I’m going to pass you so you can get a driver’s license. But I’m doing this on the condition that you promise me you’ll never drive in Australia!” {continued in "NZ 1" post}

No comments:

Post a Comment